Out Of the seven wonders of the ancient world, The Great Pyramid of Giza is the only remaining wonder to this day. The great pyramid is part of three pyramid complexes – Khufu, Khafre, and Menkaure – named after the kings for who they were built. The great pyramid of Giza is the largest of three, which was created for the Pharaoh Khufu. For more than 3800 years, it was the tallest man-made structure in the world.
Where is the Great Pyramid of Giza located?
The Giza pyramid complex is situated in present-day Giza near Al-Jīzah, northern Egypt. It is located in coordinates 29, on the west bank of the Nile River.
According to historical evidence, the great pyramid of Giza was the tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh Khufu who lived during the Fourth Dynasty of the Old Kingdom in Egypt. Pharaohs or the rulers of Egypt believed in the afterlife. Hence, they built pyramids as their tombs and filled those with things that the pharaoh needs to sustain in the next life.
According to the recordings, Pharaoh Khufu started to build the great pyramid in the 26th century BC (about 2561 BC). Moreover, there is a funerary complex around the pyramid. And it consists of three smaller pyramids for Khufu’s wives, tombs of the immediate family, and two mortuary temples.
In fact, the great pyramid of Giza has amazed people for centuries. Even the famous Greece writer Herodotus, who lived in 5th BC, mentioned this as a must-see to visit.
Later, in 1798 AD Napoleon Bonaparte invaded Egypt and spoke his troops near the great pyramid.
“From the heights of the Pyramids, forty centuries look down on us.”Napoleon Bonaparte
Finally, in 1979, UNESCO declared it as a World Heritage site.
The Great Pyramid of Giza architecture
- The initial height was 481 feet (146.59 meters), and today it is only 451 feet (138 meters) tall
- The length of each size of the base is 230 meters
- Area of 260,000 cubic meters covered by the pyramid
- The inclination from the base to the top is approximate 51°52′
- The average weight of the stone cubes are 2T – 3T stone
- 2.3million blocks of stones have used for the project
- The average error of the four sides of the base is only 58 millimeters
- The core of the pyramid is made of limestones and the outer casing was done with white Tura limestone
- Each side of the pyramid is accurately oriented to the four cardinal points of the compass– north, south, east, and west.
- All three pyramids align perfectly by creating a straight line that runs from northwest to southeast.
How long did it take to build the Great Pyramid of Giza
According to the records of Herodotus, hundred thousand men have worked for two decades to build this pyramid. As concluded by archeologists, around ten thousand people worked 23 years, day and night, intensively to complete this massive project.
Who built the Great Pyramid?
Due to its magnificence, people have wondered about its creators. And some believe it’s a work of aliens. However, during the past few years, archeologists discovered the remaining villages and skeletons of humans and domestic animals (sheep, cows, and goats) around the pyramid complex.